Ohio Building Demolition and Site Revitalization Fund
The Governor of Ohio signed a new budget that will allocate $150 million for the demolition of commercial and residential buildings and the revitalization of surrounding properties on sites that are not brownfields. The budget language includes funding for the revitalization of surrounding properties as long as they’re not related to Brownfields. The budget bill provides minimal direction on the administration of the program other than the following:
- Funding is to be directed to non-brownfield sites. “Brownfields” are defined as industrial and/or commercial where expansion or redevelopment is complicated by known or potential releases of hazardous substances or petroleum. This suggests that funding under this program is only meant for abandoned buildings that do not have contamination;
- $500,000 in funding is allocated to each of Ohio’s 88 counties
- The remaining $106 million in funding is to be provided on a first-come, first-served basis
- Up to 75% of the project cost will be funding (i.e. a 25% minimum match requirement)
Please let us know if we can help you demo or revitalize your local county environment by clicking here
Here is the actual language;
(A)(1) There is hereby created the building demolition and site revitalization program to award
grants for the demolition of commercial and residential buildings and revitalization of surrounding
properties on sites that are not brownfields. The program shall be administered by the director of
development pursuant to this section and rules adopted pursuant to division (A)(2) of this section.
(2) The director shall adopt rules, under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, for the administration of
the program. The rules shall include provisions for determining project and project sponsor
eligibility, program administration, and any other provisions the director finds necessary.
(3) The director shall ensure that the program is operational and accepting proposals for grants not
later than ninety days after the effective date of this section.
(B)(1) There is hereby created in the state treasury the building demolition and site revitalization
fund. The fund shall consist of moneys appropriated to it by the general assembly, and investment
earnings on moneys in the fund shall be credited to the fund.
(2) The director shall reserve funds from each appropriation to the fund to each county in the state.
The amount reserved shall be five hundred thousand dollars per county, or, if an appropriation is less
than forty-four million dollars, a proportionate amount to each county. Amounts reserved pursuant to
this section are reserved for one calendar year from the date of the appropriation. After one calendar
year, the funds shall be available pursuant to division (B)(3) of this section.
(3) Funds from an appropriation not reserved under division (B)(2) of this section shall be available
for grants to projects located anywhere in the state, and grants from those funds shall be awarded to
qualifying projects on a first-come, first-served basis. Grants awarded pursuant to this division shall
be limited to seventy-five percent of a project’s total cost.